2010年6月29日火曜日

Free Translation Tools... or How I Ended up with Google Translator Toolkit

As I'm working on my moderately large translation project, I needed some help with repetitive sentences and such. Copying and pasting soon got me irritated enough...

I use a macbook lately. At first I tried Omega-T and Sun Open Language Tools. Ok, the applications can be installed fairly easily on my macbook. Only neither of them worked properly. OmegaT failed to open a document (it just shows a gray, empty window after importing files). Sun Open Language Tools fail after editing some portion of my file (it might depend on input files).

So I was gonna try without tools because it seemed I should spend my time for actual work. Then I remembered that google has released an online translation tool. So I gave it a try. It's simple, but just works on my macbook in chrome! Great. The only thing so far that I don't like about the tool is, it tries to share your data with everybody by default. You need to be careful when you don't want your document public. I know it's very nice to be able to share translation memory publicly, though. If I work on something about open source projects, I would be glad to shere my work (as long as it's not against the agreement).

Actually I've used Sun Open Language tools before on Windows. It worked great for my translation project, handling HTML pretty well. I haven't tracked down the problem on my macbook using Open Language Tools, but hope that I can get around with it. To be able to edit files offline could be important, even today, as wi-fi spots are still sparse out there. OmegaT also looks good, but for now, as I don't have much time to mess around with any tool just to make it work, I'm gonna use Google Translator Toolkit.



OmegaT:
http://www.omegat.org/


Sun Open Language Tools:
https://open-language-tools.dev.java.net/

Google Translator Toolkit:
http://translate.google.com/toolkit/

0 件のコメント: